Bariatric Surgery Program
Morbid obesity is generally defined as excess body weight of 100 pounds or more or having a Body Mass Index (BMI) of at least 40 kg/meters2. It is often associated with multiple health problems, or co-morbidities such as high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, and hyperlipidemia, to name a few.
Bariatric surgery or weight loss surgery is for those who are overweight by 100 pounds or more and have been unsuccessful at losing weight through diet, exercise and medication. St. Catherine of Siena Medical Center offers various bariatric surgical procedures such as Sleeve Gastrectomy, Adjustable Gastric Banding, Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass as well as revisions. All procedures are done using laparoscopic techniques resulting in smaller incisions, less hospital stay, less post-operative pain and a faster recovery period. The individual will go through a preoperative workup including but not limited to surgical, cardiac, pulmonary, nutritional, and GI consult. It is also highly recommended that he or she attend information seminars and support groups.
Types of Surgery
- Sleeve Gastrectomy: This is a restrictive procedure that removes approximately 60 – 70 % of the stomach so that the stomach takes the shape of a tube or "sleeve”. This results in smaller food portions.
- Adjustable Gastric Band: This is a restrictive and adjustable procedure. The adjustable gastric band is placed around the upper part of the stomach to create a new tiny stomach pouch. As a result, patients experience an earlier sensation of fullness and are satisfied with smaller amounts of food. There are no permanent changes made to your stomach or intestines and the gastric band can be adjusted through an access port below the surface of the skin.
- Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: This is both a restrictive and malabsorptive procedure. The stomach is stapled to make a smaller pouch and a part of the intestines is attached to the new pouch. This results in smaller food portions and lower absorption of calories and nutrients from the food.
Know Your Options
Our healthy living approach to weight loss includes lifestyle, medical and surgical options.
- Comprehensive Weight Loss Programs
- Community-based programs
- Lifestyle treatment options
- Medical treatment options
- Surgical treatment options
- Support Groups
- Holistic Approach
St. Catherine of Siena Medical Center offers a bariatric support group that is supervised by a healthcare professional. It is open for anyone interested in learning about bariatric surgery and the lifestyle afterwards. It is also a supportive and educational gathering for pre- and post-operative patients. Those patients who had surgery feel comfortable to discuss their stories or issues. Topics can include protein drinks, healthy recipes, well-tolerated foods and exercise regimens. We believe that the support group is one of the important tools needed to maintain a healthy and successful life post bariatric surgery. All are welcome and membership is free.
For more information, contact the Bariatric Coordinator Judy Summers, PA-C, with any questions at (631) 784-7445 or via e-mail Judith.email@example.com.